Monday, December 14, 2009

Recipe Love

I love recipe hunting. I haven't gotten to the point of cake baking where i can whip something up on the fly with my own ideas. I have to use a recipe. If I tweak it here and there so be it.

Also if i don't know how to do something, say make a certain filling, I search and search until I find something I'm sure will work. So in my search to find a decent orange filling for a cake I have coming up for a birthday day i found this interesting piece of information!

"Heat the whole jar (lid off, of course) in the microwave for just about 30 seconds to warm and liquefy the jam, then I stir in a small box of dry Jello in the same flavor as the jam.

I use sugar-free for those that don't want the added sugar, or regular for the rest. It intensifies the color and flavor of the jam but, best of all, once I spread it on a layer and let it sit before adding the second layer, it jells beautifully and won't slide or soak the cake. It does help to refrigerate the layer if it will fit in your fridge. I have even put my larger layers in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to allow the jam to set-up

It is as good as buttercream for "gluing" the layers together and it does not squish out the sides, even without the butter cream "dam." I like the taste better as it has a more authentic fruit flavor and not the over-sweetness that off-the-shelf jams can sometimes have."--Peggy Weaver

How cool is that? I'm going to try it! Considering I have to make a orange marmalade filled cake :). Woohoo. I have my first crumb frosting test today too. so wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment